We all know the COVID pandemic changed how we work in a sudden and unplanned fashion. Now, 3 years later, many companies, including our law firm clients, are still shifting their work environments, and trying to navigate that shift while being secure and flexible.
How do Law Firms Secure Their Remote Workforce?
Has your work environment changed over the past few years as well? The law firms we currently work with tell us reducing office space has not only reduced their footprint but having their tech securely in place to allow for the remote and flexible environment gives them a competitive advantage when hiring new staff.
That sudden and unexpected move to remote work required technology to change on a dime with little planning, preparation, or training. Your staff probably had to navigate using personal, unsecure Wi-Fi, using cloud apps for the first time, jumping back and forth between work websites and applications and personal sites and apps. All these challenges can leave your remote staff and your firm very susceptible to cybercrime and hackers.
Perhaps now is the time to review your IT systems, cloud, and hardware to better protect your staff, clients and firm as you continue to move through this new work environment. Do you have the right level of security? Does your team need training on working securely or in a cloud environment? Is your data backed up, archived and safe?
Hackers are counting on your insecurity
In the most recent survey on law firm cybersecurity by the American Bar Association revealed that more than 35% of law firms said their systems have been infected by a virus, spyware, or malware.
How do infections occur?
- Not properly managing all devices and employees
- Insecure passwords
- Phishing emails
- Using unsecured personal devices & networks
- Video attacks
- Weak backup and recovery systems
- Not connecting over VPNs
- Not using multi-factor authentication
Too often, companies won’t know of the weakness until a hack has occurred.
Hackers have adapted to the remote-worker surge and are counting on your workers to go home, connect to their Wi-Fi, and make a mistake so they can attack computers from one of the many connected devices in their home. So, what can you do?
7 Tips to Secure Your Remote Workforce:
- Use strong passwords for logging into computers and when creating Wi-Fi home networks; passwords should be at least twelve alphanumeric characters in length, be somewhat memorable, and have at least one special character
- Change the default login password for home routers and turn off remote management.
- Use those strong passwords for accessing other devices like phones, internet-connected printers, tablets, and iPads, just in case they end up in the wrong hands.
- Never share a firm computer with anyone, as it could come back with a virus. Even evidence that someone else used it can get you into trouble
- Make sure devices automatically “lock” in case you lose them, or they are stolen.
- Use encryption for sensitive data files.
- Use multifactor authentication that requires entering a code after logging in with a username and password.
Building Your Business Safely Through the Cloud
That sudden and unexpected move to remote work that may be your firms’ way of life now, is more efficient and secure in a cloud environment. With a cloud hosting provider who is totally focused on security, your law firm can spend more time focusing on delivering services to clients. EMCO Technology has over 20 years of experience offering cutting-edge legal technology including secure hosting to law firms. We’re dedicated to following the industry’s strictest compliance and data security regulations while allowing firms to offer attorneys a flexible working experience.
Here’s how EMCO law firms protect their assets. Each client receives:
The average breach lasts an average of over 200 days before detection. That’s nearly 9 months! In this time, the average criminal can do whatever they want with you or your clients’ information, presenting a massive risk to your firm.
ACTIVELY MONITORING THREATS 24/7
The bad guys don’t work “normal business hours” so we monitor and search for threats year-round, nights and weekends with Security Analysts who know what to look for.
PROTECTION FROM MODERN THREATS
Hackers are now more advanced than ever before. The new Malware and Ransomware is designed to get past traditional solutions that no longer work.
We use cutting-edge AI technology to keep you protected from today’s modern threats. We stay on top of the changes and trends, so you don’t have to.
Where is the “Get this Done” Button?
You’re busy. You’d rather spend your time focusing on your clients than doing everything in this email. EMCO Technology offers cyber compliance services that do much of the work for you. Whether you need advice on a specific topic or are looking for those services, we are here for you. Give us a call today!